Golfers of all ages and levels have one thing in common – they want to play better golf by hitting the ball further, with more accuracy and more consistency. And like many sportspeople, golfers need to be able to move freely to play well. After all, it only takes one small change to have a big effect on the result. So, can Pilates help give you a better golf swing? We think so, and here’s how.
Whether twisting the body on a drive, squatting down to measure a putt or leaning over to pick up a ball, golfers constantly torquing their bodies. Golf also requires repeating the same essential movements. As a result some muscles become overused and others weaken, causing an imbalance.
For a golfer, muscle imbalances can affect the legs, hips, arms, shoulders, and the lower back. It can also affect your game, particularly for those over the age of 50. Your drives may be shorter and less accurate, your stamina may decrease, and the potential for debilitating strains, pulls and tears becomes much higher.
How can Reformer Pilates help your golf game?
Pilates is based on movement from the centre of the body, as are most shots in golf. It promotes good use of the centre of the body, also known as the core (the trunk, shoulder girdles and pelvis). Pilates can also improve hip rotation, range of motion in the shoulders, and back flexibility and stability – all leading to more powerful and accurate golf shots. It is a full body exercise program that works all muscles and is easy on the joints. The end result is a flexible, symmetrically muscled body that is strengthened from the inside out.
- Attain an optimal backswing and follow-through with increased range of motion in shoulders
- Get more distance and power because of added hip and torso flexibility
- Have a stronger and bigger hip turn for greater power through rotation
- Create a smoother and more powerful swing due to evenly conditioned back muscles
- Maximize balance and alignment while rotating
- Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
- Hold a body position long enough to play through a shot
- Play without pain!
For any golfers, Pilates is an essential training tool that keeps the body in balance and actually improves performance.