Back pain will affect 8 out of 10 people at some point in their life – mild or severe, acute or chronic.
Common causes of back pain include:
- heavy lifting
- trauma, such as a car accident or fall
- extensive sitting or standing
- pregnancy and childbirth
- insufficient flexibility
- digestive conditions such as constipation or irritable bowel
- menstrual pain or endometriosis
- muscle weakness
- dysfunction in the upper back, pelvis or lower limbs
Other more serious causes include disc injury, fracture, tumour or infection. Osteopaths are trained to differentiate between uncomplicated back pain, and pain that requires referral to a specialist.
Your osteopath will help you develop an effective course of action, and can:
- improve joint mobility
- reduce muscular tension, inflammation and nerve irritation
- offer advice on posture, exercises and stretches
- advise on ergonomics at home or the workplace
- refer you for x-rays or other scans when required
- help you lodge an ACC claim if your pain is the result of an accident
Click the button below to see our fees and make an appointment!