Leyla is currently on maternity leave until early next year – our wonderful new osteopath Kay Whyte will be covering for her, starting late November
Leyla is an Osteopath and clinical Pilates instructor with strong, intuitive hands and a love for facilitating great connections between our minds and our bodies through manual therapy and therapeutic movement.
Leyla completed her osteopathic training in Auckland 8 years ago, gaining a Bachelor of Applied Science and a Master of Osteopathy. Since then she has worked in various clinics both in New Zealand and Australia, gaining experience alongside some wonderfully wise Osteopaths and Pilates teachers.
Leyla loves to solve complex musculoskeletal complaints including:
- neck pain/headaches/TMJ disorders
- rotator cuff injuries
- breathing pattern disorders
- abdominal and pelvic issues with a muscular component
- hip osteoarthritis
- knee injuries
- recurrent ankle sprains
She favours a direct hands-on approach incorporating strong soft tissue techniques, deep tissue and trigger point work, joint mobilizations, manipulation, stretching and gentler unwinding techniques. With her expansive toolbox, Leyla will find the best techniques for your body. She has a wealth of knowledge in pain science and rehabilitation and ensures that you come away from your consultation feeling thoroughly informed and in control of your health.
While at university Leyla completed an excellent research study which supported the use of Pilates for successfully managing chronic and recurrent low back pain. This inspired her to undertake further training in Pilates for rehabilitation and educate herself in different modalities of therapeutic exercise. She draws from breathing and mindfulness exercise programs, kettle-bell and functional exercise training, yoga and Pilates, with the goal to extend your treatment beyond the clinic room and give you tailored exercises that give you control over your recovery process.
She particularly enjoys looking after pregnant women both with Osteopathy and Pilates. She can help hands-on to resolve your niggles and free the pelvis and rest of the body for a more comfortable birth. She can also guide you through a thoughtful Pilates program that helps to maximize your health and wellbeing, improve mind-body awareness, and prepare you for a successful labour and recovery.
During her time as an Osteopath Leyla has been president of Osteopaths New Zealand, an association involved in educating the public about Osteopathy and supporting the needs of New Zealand Osteopaths.
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Biology)
- Master of Osteopathy
- Comprehensive Pilates for Rehabilitation through Polestar Pilates Australia
- Pregnancy and Visceral (mobilisation of organs) Osteopathy
- Treatment of breathing dysfunction and TMJ disorders
- Exercise prescription and Kinesio taping
- Pain education and management
- Osteopathic Council New Zealand
- Osteopaths NZ
- Osteopathy Australia
- Accredited ACC treatment provider
And outside of the clinic…
- Leyla loves living right by the ocean and after a bit of travelling now calls Mt Maunganui her home
- She loves to surf and goes paddle boarding when the waves are too small
- She also enjoys mountain biking and trail running and a few trips to the mountain for snowboarding in winter
- She is a huge fan of Pilates and kettlebells and practices regularly at home and in the studio
- She has coached and competed in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muay Thai Kickboxing and twice represented New Zealand overseas at the BJJ World Pros
- Leyla and her husband love a life of adventure and often spend the weekend outdoors with their kids, exploring New Zealand’s beautiful wild places
- She is passionate about looking after the health of people and our environment, enjoys gardening and cooking wholesome organic food
- Leyla was born in Germany but grew up in Auckland (she can still speak a bit of German)