Have you found when you google search running tips, one of the first things you see is that you’ve got to work on your posture?
Well for a runner, posture is one of the key ingredients to success! Good posture is very dependent on a strong core, and this is where Pilates comes in. Pilates is amazing for supporting and strengthening the muscles of your torso, hips, shoulders and pelvis. By focusing on improving your core it can eventually lead to a huge positive difference in your posture, technique, balance and stability. It enables you to focus on where your head and neck are in relation to the spine and pelvis, on down through the legs and toes. This all adds up to more efficient movement and overall better running technique.
Pilates exercises also create a stronger, more flexible spine and core, and also promotes faster recovery from strains or injuries.
A stronger and more stable core helps a runner:
- Run more efficiently uphill with a stabilized musculature
- Run more efficiently downhill with a stronger and more balanced sciatic area
- Experience less tightening of the neck, head and shoulders
- Increase oxygenation and stamina with a diaphragm that is able to fully expand
- Focus on proper movement with better kinaesthetic awareness
- Decrease fatigue because of less strain on the body
- Shave seconds off your times because you move more efficiently
- Run without pain!
If you’re looking to improve your running technique you should definitely consider joining us for some reformer Pilates sessions, you won’t regret it!